Here’s a thing I’ve become aware of recently: the Merlin fandom is not in the habit of leaving a lot of feedback (kudos/comments/etc.) on a general basis compared to a lot of other fandoms. I understand: different fandom cultures and all that. But the thing is, it kinda sucks. There’s a lot of recs going on, a lot of passing around of fics and fanarts and graphics, but not that many left directly on the work for the creator to see (ex: tons of hits on a good fic, with very little kudos and/or comments).
I say this needs to change. We need to be better than that. A lot of people seem to be panicking these days about the fandom dying, well here is something you can do: let the people who create fanworks know that you appreciate their work, their time, their efforts.
Some easy things you can do (among others):
- If a fic is on AO3 and you liked it: leave a kudo. It’s ONE click. ONE CLICK. You don’t even need to have an account. It says “hey, I liked this.”
- Leave a comment if you have the time. I know sometimes it’s harder (I know, I’m absolute shite at it), because you don’t know what to say or you’re shy etc. But let me tell you, sometimes a “I really liked this. Thank you for writing it.” is all that is needed. Your comments don’t have to be essays. Feel free to keysmash too. Nothing says love like a good keysmahing. (and that goes for fics on LJ too, where commenting is the only option you have to show your appreciation)
- Leave comments on fanarts too (“This is amazing!), on fanvids (those babies take A LOT of time to make), on fanmixes, on graphics etc.
- REBLOG DO NOT REPOST graphics and fanarts on tumblr. Let the creator see those notes on their posts and feel the love.
- On tumblr, it’s sometimes okay, particularly on fanarts, to show your love in the text part instead of the tags. The artist will see the comment on their dash and be happy :D
- Also on tumblr, go to people ask boxes and leave them nice messageslike “I love your graphics” and “You’re very talented” and “Thank you for sharing with us, your art is amazing” and “I can’t stop listening to your fanmix!” etc. Those are always cherished and they always mean A LOT.
Just do everything you can to show your appreciation. It takes HOURS for people to create fanworks, and they do it for free and they do it for you. It would take, at worst, a few minutes to show your appreciation, at best literally a second (one click!).
We all need to put more effort into this. All of us. If you want this fandom to keep thriving, to not die, let the people who give their free time and efforts know that you care.
SHOW YOUR LOVE. SHOW SUPPORT.
I’m so guilty of not leaving as much (if any) feedback when I read an awesome fic. I will do better!!